Many thanks to the talented authors in our creative community, and also to our team of reader-curators for August: Lynda Araoz, David Cudaback, Vivian Drohan and Carol Essert, who selected eight submissions to share with you. Please note: Community Writes will continue with a second submission period, deadline Friday, September 25th! Want to show us your work? Scroll down for guidelines.
Please continue to enjoy choices from past weeks:
- Don’t Come in Here by Anonymous
- Unlocking My Muse with Benjamin Moore by Lynn Rothenberg
- 1968 – The Best of Times and the Worst of Times by John Fiorillo
- Crazy Bob by Barbara Iuviene
- Cars by Carolyn Kirsch
- People Need People by Michele Steckler
Note: The community writing which appears here is for literary purposes. Views expressed are personal, belong solely to the authors and do not represent the views of the Academy, board members, membership or staff. Works were submitted anonymously to our volunteer judges, and appear here with permission of the authors, who received no compensation.
*Guidelines for our next submission period; new deadline Friday, September 25th
- One submission per person
- Choose a category – Fiction (short story) or Non-Fiction (essay, memoir)
- 1500 words maximum
- Number of works to be selected will be determined after submissions are read.
- Submissions will be read and judged anonymously. If your piece is selected, you have the option of appearing anonymously.
- Identify work as Fiction or Non-fiction, and give the piece a title.
- Submit documents in an unlocked format, such as Word, and email to: .
- Do not include personal identification on the document; DO include it in the email, with a phone number.
Pictured above Brighton Beach Benches by Gerald Seligman, archival photo.