- This event has passed.
Spring Break Arts Camp: CHARACTER KABOOM: SOLD OUT
Tuesday, April 19, 2022, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Tickets for Spring Break Arts Camp: CHARACTER KABOOM: SOLD OUT$100
This is a three day event. It will be held Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, April 19, 20, 21.
Ages: 10-15, limited to 12 participants
Cost: $100 (limited scholarships available).
Bring: Your imagination and your lunch
All art supplies will be provided, as well as snacks and bottled water.
Join NY Times bestselling children’s book illustrator Jacqueline Rogers in person at the Spencertown for 3 fun days of character creating and story building to set your imagination ON FIRE!
Using prompts, games, and collaborations, students will draw and paint imaginative characters, create settings and problems to solve, culminating in a final LARGE project ready to display.
• Intro to cartooning: Facial expressions, body types, unusual features, use of common shapes, exercises to get you to step out of the box.
• Creating settings; basics of page building, sequencing, interesting layouts.
• Designate at least one strong character as protagonist. Talk about plot building, using what you know (family issues, school drama, etc.), creating conflict, upping the stakes, and character changes as a result.
• Draw and paint color action scenes from the story. Work on a large group drawing combining cartoon elements to create an exciting collaboration with your fellow artists.
• Paint your main character in large format on coroplast – so it can be cut out and stand on its own for an upcoming Academy event.
To inquire about financial support, please email us: [email protected].
Jacqueline Rogers has been writing and illustrating picture books for over 35 years. In 2012 she Illustrated Beverly Cleary’s beloved Ramona series, as well as The Mouse and the Motorcycle and the Henry Huggins books. Other works include illustrations for New York Times best sellers: My Great Big Backyard, written by Laura Bush and Jenna Bush Hager, 2016, Little Ree, written by Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, 2017. In 2019 Harper Collins published Goblin Moon, a Halloween poem, both written and illustrated by Jackie.
Spencertown Academy Art Center will follow the recently released COVID guidance for school districts across the State. Masks are optional, except when an individual cannot show proof of vaccination. In that case, attendees will be asked to produce a recent (72 hours or less) negative test, and to wear a mask. Please bring proof of vaccination to the first session.
The Academy uses state-of-the-art air purification filters to ensure air quality in the classroom space.”
Spencertown Academy programs are made possible by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.
This program is supported in part by a grant from HRBT.